Monday, November 28, 2005

Open up your email - it's the feds!

I recall a few days ago being sent an email that was so transparently obviously a virus that I thought "who on earth would click on such an obviously dodgy looking attachment?" It was an email from the FBI (yeah, right, email being the FBI's most likely form of communication to me) saying that "your IP address had been logged looking at illegal web sites" and then inviting you to click on an attachment of unknown file type asking you to "fill in a form about this activity". I'm guessing that if the FBI were troubled about my web site browsing they would be more likely to burst through the front door than send an email. At the time I chuckled to myself and deleted it, but apparently millions of people actually did decide to fill in the form about their dubious web browsing, immediately infected their PCs with the "sober" virus.

Against this depressing demonstration of human gullibility was at least the entertainment value of the deadpan statement from the real FBI, which read: "Recipients of this or similar solicitations should know that the FBI does not engage in the practice of sending unsolicited e-mails to the public in this manner." Quite so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home